Planning a family photoshoot can be an exciting yet daunting task. One important aspect that can greatly enhance the overall look of your portraits is coordinating outfits. As a mom and family photographer in Northern Virginia, I understand both sides of what goes into creating picture-perfect memories. Let’s dive into some helpful tips on how to coordinate outfits for family photos in the stunning backdrop of Northern Virginia.
- Consider the Location and Season: Northern Virginia offers a variety of picturesque settings, from lush parks to historic landmarks. Take into account the location and season when choosing your family’s outfits. Opt for lighter, breathable fabrics and pastel colors for springtime sessions amidst blooming flowers, or warm, earthy tones for fall photoshoots in scenic autumn foliage.
- Start with a Color Palette: Begin by selecting a color palette that complements each family member and works well together as a whole. Choose two to three main colors and incorporate them into everyone’s outfits. Consider the backdrop of your chosen location and ensure the colors will stand out without overwhelming the scene.
- Mix Patterns and Textures: Adding depth and visual interest to your family’s outfits can be achieved through the thoughtful combination of patterns and textures. Consider incorporating a mix of solid colors, subtle patterns, and different textures to create a harmonious yet visually appealing look. Just remember to strike a balance and avoid overpowering patterns that may distract from the focus on your family.
- Coordinate, Don’t Match: Gone are the days of everyone wearing the exact same outfit for family photos. Instead, aim for a coordinated look that showcases each family member’s individual style. Select complementary colors and clothing styles that reflect each person’s personality while still achieving a cohesive overall appearance. This approach adds depth and visual appeal to your portraits.
The caveat to this “rule” is that I love an all-white session, as pictured above. I’ve photographed a few of them and if done correctly (accents to break up the white, not all exactly the same shade, varying layers/textures) I think it’s absolutely stunning.
- Accessorize Thoughtfully: Accessories can be the cherry on top of a well-coordinated outfit. Consider incorporating accessories such as scarves, hats, statement jewelry, or suspenders to add an extra touch of personality and style. Just ensure that the accessories enhance the overall look without overpowering the main focus, which is your family’s connection.
Coordinating outfits for family photos in Northern Virginia is an exciting opportunity to create picture-perfect memories. By considering the location, season, color palette, mixing patterns and textures, and accessorizing thoughtfully, you can achieve a cohesive and visually appealing look for your family portraits. As a family photographer in Northern Virginia, I am here to guide and assist you in capturing timeless moments that reflect the love and joy shared within your family. So, gather your loved ones, coordinate your outfits, and let’s create beautiful memories together.